Back on the 18th: louder and NASTIER than ever!
You're an animal! No, worse. Human! - Runaway Train (1987)
Can you believe it? Summer is simply flying through. What’s also flying are all the amazing projects fellow TOCPUG’ers are cranking out!
A few things about TOCPUG:
- WE LOVE MOVIES. Yes, many of us have learned the language of “Movie-Speak”
- We’re not just a ‘tech group’ blabbing about shit you’ve read on tech-blogs. We’ll cover tech, but we’ll also tear it apart.
- The prevailing belief: Art/Technology 50/50.
If you are new to Toronto: A Poet, A film school grad, a wedding/corporate videomaker, an indie horror filmmaker, an actor, veteran of film/tv and would like to meet the BEST in the biz?: TOCPUG is for you.
We are open to all and FOREVER FREE.
“Forever Free” means many things:
- Free of ‘membership fees’: We will never ask for $$ or “Sign up”. Those who fund this group do so strictly out of a fervent belief in the mission.
- Free of self-censorship: We don’t stream/record our meetings, which gives the best platform in simply coming out and ‘telling it like it is’. Our members love the freedom to vent/praise/experience the wild debate/discussions and politic-free presentations!
- Open to All: History has repeatedly proven, insular group-think is a disaster: that sort of thinking is a dead-end. It’s an investment in failure.
- Open to All: Yes, even though FCPX has been a disaster on wheels, we offer comprehensive “FCPX rehab” clinics to those willing to make the ‘first step’.
For the past three years, we’ve run the group with one basic principle: Just the facts.
This group focuses/discusses many of the topics/things tech-blogs/tech-sites either doesn’t cover, or (you can guess why) WON’T.
Three years on: TOCPUG’s best days are ahead!
See you all there Sept 19th,2017!
Ethics Statement: TOCPUG has not been compensated/etc: our opinions are solely our own. Our goal has always remained the same “Showcase the best in the biz”. The following is a summary of a special onetime tour of a groundbreaking virtual studio. TOCPUG starts up again this September. We are open to all/free. If you are a filmmaker/creative type, this group is for you.
On May 16th/2017: TOCPUG capped off the finale of another successful year of showcasing the best in the business…with a tour of TFO’s “LUV” virtual studio! It was a fun/informative night, the kind staffers at TFO answered ALL of our questions and made it clear: They’re ‘open for business’.
The line between production/post is clearly becoming blurred with this leading tech. The ability to composite/track/render in real-time fully realized 3D ‘worlds’ was revelatory.
Technology in the past decade has made amazing strides in reducing the cost of post-production, however live-to-air virtual studio productions will further reduce costs/diminish the ‘turnaround’ time needed.
In the past, it was routine for many t.v. dramas/comedies to air ‘live’. Some might even remember NBC’s “E.R.” in the 90s broadcasting an episode live (twice! East/West Coast).
Summary: TFO’s LUV studio is pushing greenscreen in it’s natural direction: Beyond post with real-time deliverables. I see this technology scaling ‘up’, with photorealism: dramatic programming is in the cards.
If you are a producer/production and would like to discuss with TFO the use of this studio/tech, contact: Cliff Lavallee at email@example.com
(TOCPUG supplied snacks: No Timbits!)
Control room tour, keyword: SPEED
Real-time, no setup: clean compositing with the LUV system.
No green screen spillage, even with water.
Cameras are equipped with motion trackers.
That’s a wrap! Another great year of TOCPUG meetings! We will start up again in September, have a productive/safe summer.
Keep an eye on this page, our facebook and twitter for updates, musings and networking. If you’d like to present at our fall meeting, have a film you’d like to Q&A on, an app to seminar, a topic you feel important for the Toronto Creative Pro Users Group: LET US KNOW.
Links/Leads from meeting:
- Biblio-Mat: http://www.monkeyspaw.com/the-biblio-mat/
- Address: 1267 Bloor St. West
- Arduino ebayer txhangelectronic/“alice11o1983”
- $30 Lavalier: JK MIC-J 044 sennheiser plug or mono plug.
BIG thanks to omniviewtech.ca for their fast hour of drones/gimbals/giving the lowdown on drone usage in Canada.
Reps at Omniviewtech offers full ‘turnkey’ operation offering customizable drone/gimbals/legal info/professional operator contacts and repair services!
Also, big thanks to Troy Gibson for contacting them/making this all possible!
FANTASTIC NIGHT! Great turnout, and lots of vintage glass to scan!
Based upon this article which mentions vintage lenses from the 1930-70s containing Thorium: https://petapixel.com/2013/05/03/deca…
TOCPUG offered free geiger counting services on the night of April 4th. Attendees who brought in their vintage glass, could see if it was radioactive.
Here are the results. Keep in mind, Thorium is an alpha decaying radiation, not great to keep near the eyes, but generally safe to use.
Lots of internet discussion over “Thorium lenses”, this summates it nicely: https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/c…
This chart also puts radiation in perspective: https://xkcd.com/radiation/
and the list of lenses possibly containing Thorium: http://camerapedia.wikia.com/
Seeing as many here probably are vintage lens collectors(Can’t beat the look of imperfect glass!), bring it in!We’ll have a Geiger Counter that night to detectyour glass for any ionizing particles.
April 4th 7-9pm:550 St. Clair West, 2nd Floor (Close to St. Clair West Subway)
Hi/Bonjour fellow TOCPUG’ers.
Open to All/Forever Free.
Austin Hitchcock’s 360VR Service (If you have a client asking for VR/Promote an event, Austin’s a great lead
on this re-emerging tech): junctionbox360.com
Time: Tuesday, Mar 7, 2017
3PM – 6PM
33 Queen St E
Between Richmond St E and Lombard St at Church StDalhousie St and Queen St E
Austin Hitchcock will give a demo intro on 360 vr. 7-8 pm time slot.
Tomorrow at TOCPUG! 550 St. Clair West Toronto: 2nd floor
Hitchcock always had a history of going 180
Hi/Bonjour fellow TOCPUG’ers
There is a promo code at the bottom for Scrivener. The best writing app for serious writing. (Only sent to those on mailing list!)
550 St. Clair West, 2nd FloorClose to St. Clair West Subway.
– Panasonic GH5. An in depth presentation/discussion on Panny’s new M43 4:2:2 10-bit cam.– Came Gimbal with GH4. Palm-sized servo stabilizers are all the rage, are they worth the ???– Short film presentation.
TOCPUG hosts monthly meetings, showcasing the best in the biz.
If you are a film student, or a longtime industry pro: This group is for you.